30 June 2013

Interview with Viveka Portman

July 1 is release day for Viveka's debut The Secret Diary of Lady Catherine Bexley.
Here is the official blurb:

In the vein of Portia Da Costa and Charlotte Featherstone, Regency England gets just a bit raunchy in this novella about a gently-raised lady who wants to feel like a woman…

“I have never seen fit in my life to divulge my secrets in a diary, yet now, after today’s proceedings, I do…”

Lady Catherine Bexley is new to marriage and the marriage bed, but surely there must be more to it than this? Her husband is proper and perfunctory — treating her with careful respect but leaving her aching for more.

When she witnesses a gentleman disciplining a maid at a house party, the ache explodes into ravenous desire. She finds herself no longer willing to wait for her husband’s stiff and passionless attentions — and soon develops a naughty plan to finally get what she wants.
 
Buy links:
 
Having read the story I can tell you that it's sexy, funny and an absolutely delightful read. I thought I'd get Viveka over for a  chat so you can learn more about her the book and what seemingly good Regency ladies got up to ;)

1. Tell us about yourself.
I’m a writer of erotic romance. My debut, The Secret Diary of Lady Catherine Bexley, is due for release on the 1st July. I’m an anthropologist by trade, which I think pre-disposed me to writing – which I love, particularly with a spicy twist.

2. Tell us about your book in less than 140 characters.
A naughty glimpse into regency England through the diary of a not so innocent newly-wed.

3. What attracted you to Regency romance?
I love the pomp and etiquette of the time. I am intrigued by the rules these people lived by and how it affected their life and loves. Additionally, I’ve always been a fan of historical romances, and I am a fan of Jane Austen’s novels – but I wanted them to be steamier. I wanted to know what was going on behind the closed door of a regency bedroom, I wanted to know what was going through ‘proper lady’s’ mind in dirty detail when she claps eyes on a gorgeous man. So, I thought I’d try and write a book which does just that!

4. Why a diary format?
I wanted the intimacy of first person narrative, without the OMG factor. I found diary format gave the character a level of distance from the scene and allowed for hindsight, which when you’re writing sexy scenes can be beneficial not to mention exciting!

5. What’s the hardest part about writing erotic romance?
The hardest part for me is balancing the romance with the erotic. I don’t want it heavily weighted in either direction. Getting perfect balance of heat to keep the reader excited, and romance to keep their heart invested is the stuff of great erotic romance.

6. So…spanking?
LOL. Who doesn’t like a bit of excitement now and then? Every fire needs fuel and a little spanky panky in the bedroom may just do that. In all seriousness I like romances, but I also like to have an erotic theme, and this story’s is about discovery. Lady Catherine is a liberal minded woman in a restrained society. She witnesses the spanking of a maid, shocked and curious it ignites her desire to push her somewhat repressed husband out of his comfort zone…

You can find out more about Viveka here:
Website: http://www.vivekaportman.blogspot.com
Twitter: @VivekaPortman

If you'd like to win a copy of the book, just follow the rafflecopter instructions!

a Rafflecopter giveaway

3 comments:

Linda said...

I love the elegance of the period plus that the simplest things are romantic; the caress of a cheek to the touch of fingers.

A.S. Fenichel said...

Kind of a naughty little snippet. I love it. Congrats!!!

Viveka Portman said...

Thanks for having me girls!