24 July 2011

New York! New York!

"Start spreading the news...."

"The neon lights shine bright on Broadway.."

Just a couple of classic lines that really epitomizes the city of New York. It's a bustle of activity that doesn't slow down, even when it's raining.


On 28th June 2011 three WInk members ventured into the mecca of "the city that never sleeps" and we were really in the mecca. Cath, Lesley Ann and myself found ourselves in the heart of Times Square for the Romance Writers of America annual conference.

For the next three days we surrounded ourselves with women who were like us, had imaginary friends that didn't go quiet until we'd told their story. Even though the three of us had been to the Romance Writers of Australia annual conference, we weren't quite prepared for the sheer amount of people that would attend.

We attended different workshops and learned a lot. For me there was one thing that stuck in my mind. It was an underlying theme of all the workshops that I attended "Give yourself permission to write rubbish in your first draft". What they meant was, just write, if the scene drags on, keep writing it. Put all the cliches in that you want, because you can go back and make it shine.

So that's what I'm doing now. I'm writing and as I write if I think it's going on I keep going, because as we all know you can't edit a blank page.

On a personal note, after the conference was over I stayed and did some sight-seeing with my family. There was one thing that stood out to me. The one landmark that I will NEVER EVER forget seeing. The amazing lady of New York. The Statue of Liberty. She's awe-inspiring.

Keep writing, even rubbish!!

Nicole

5 comments:

Fiona Lowe said...

Glad you had a great time!

Lesley Ann Smith said...

It was great to share that time with you and Cath.

The number of people at the conference was amazing and I congratulate Romance Writers of America on their logistics. Everything ran very smoothly. They were especially smart about meals and awards functions.

I share the take-away moment with Nicki. Your first draft is just for you; no-one else need ever see it, so just write it.

I also got some great career advice when I pitched to Pamela Ahearn which may change how I see myself as a writer and my approach to my stories.

A great conference. I hope to go to another one some time.

Rachael Johns said...

Thanks for sharing your fabulous experience. Sometimes that advice to just write is really hard but I'm trying my best too :)

Lesley and Cath - hope we get your takes on NY too!

Rachael Johns said...

Thanks for sharing your fabulous experience. Sometimes that advice to just write is really hard but I'm trying my best too :)

Lesley and Cath - hope we get your takes on NY too!

Shona Husk said...

I think a dirty draft is important.

Glad you had a good time in NY. I look forward to heading to the USA next year.